English Language Development Programme (ELDP)
Please note: FASS Postgraduate Dissertation Writing class is on Wednesdays 11am - 1pm in JG5008 and not Mondays as in booklet.
The English Language Development Programme (ELDP) is designed especially for international students at Kingston. You are now facing the challenges of meeting new people, attending lectures, seminars and workshops, and completing assignments - all in English - and sometimes using methods of teaching and learning which differ from those you have been used to.
Our courses aim to:
- develop the language skills you need for essay and report writing, giving presentations and taking part in lectures and seminars;
- support and develop your study skills to a level where you are able to study effectively and successfully;
- improve your confidence when using English, both within and outside the University;
- increase your grammatical and idiomatic use of the English language; and
- help you learn more about Britain and the British way of life.
The Programme is not just about improving your English grammar! It focuses on the English you will need to use for your studies - English for academic purposes. You will work on tasks similar to those you will be required to do in your own academic courses, covering topics of academic, cultural and general interest. You will also have the chance to meet and work with other international students from across the University.
The Programme runs free English language courses and 'Drop-in' language tutorials throughout the academic year. In addition, you can gain credit for your English language studies by selecting one of the English Language modules, run as part of the Kingston Language Scheme.