About postgraduate study

The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences offers a wide range of opportunities to students who wish to engage in postgraduate study. Subject specialisms span all the major disciplines within the Faculty and our masters programmes offer expert teaching in all these areas. We are also keen to encourage students who wish to pursue a PhD research degree to bring their own ideas and interests to us so that we can discuss your needs and identify the right supervisors.

What can I study?

You can study two types of postgraduate course in the faculty:

  1. Taught courses
    Postgraduate taught courses provide students with a selection of subjects that form the core of their degree. Some of these course provide students with core and elective subjects, giving the student the choice to specialise in certain areas.
  2. Research degrees
    Research degree topics are selected from a list of key research areas.

How do I apply?

Find out how to apply for a postgraduate course.

How much will it cost?

Please note: if you are an overseas postgraduate student, you must pay 50% of your course fee before you enrol or when you arrive to enrol (you cannot start your course without making this payment).

Can I get funding?

What are the entry requirements?

The entry requirements for each course are set out on the relevant course page.

Note that Kingston University has an academic credit scheme which allows us to recognise a broad range of learning, provided it is in a relevant subject and at the appropriate level. You may be able to gain recognition for learning that you have undertaken before joining Kingston University either in place of entry qualifications or towards the requirements of an award.

Assessment of prior learning

The kind of learning which may be recognised can come from:

  • Formal study
  • Training/development programmes
  • Paid or unpaid work
  • Leisure interests

If you have undertaken formal study then you are likely to have an educational or professional qualification - this is prior formal learning. The University refers to this as certificated learning, because often students are given certificates as evidence of them passing a course, or gaining a qualification.

It is also possible to learn a considerable amount through work (for example, from taking training/development programmes), through voluntary work, through studying by yourself, or through following a particular leisure interest (such as researching your family tree). This type of learning will not have been formally taught, and is referred to as experiential learning.

Because it has not taken place in a formal setting, learning from experience has not been assessed - this means there is no academic evidence that it has actually taken place. To claim recognition of learning from experience, therefore, you will need to provide evidence of your learning. An academic advisor in the University can give you advice and guidance about doing that.

Note that applicants offering prior qualifications and learning may be exempted from appropriate parts of a course in accordance with the University's mechanisms and policy for the assessment of prior learning and prior experiential learning.

What award will I gain, and how long will it take?

There are various degree types you can gain studying at postgraduate level. These include:

  • Postgraduate Certificate
  • Postgraduate Diploma
  • Masters (MA or MSc)
  • PhD

Most of the taught degree courses for full-time students last for one year and comprise three stages, although you can qualify for a Postgraduate Certificate after Stage 1 and a Postgraduate Diploma after Stage 2.

Full-time or part-time study?

If you are currently in a career or have commitments that prevent you from studying full-time, then part-time study may be the answer. In addition to gaining personal satisfaction and improving qualifications, some students find the part-time approach a good way to consolidate their present career, learn the latest developments in a field relating to work or even change direction after a career break.

We have a long record of recruiting mature students on many of the degree courses in the Faculty.

Further information

Photograph of a student