Types of research degree
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences offers the following types of research degree:
MA/MSc by Research
A flexible learning programme designed for anyone who wants to conduct an extended and supervised research project in an area of the Arts and Social Sciences. The MA/MSc programme can be used as the foundation for a PhD degree.
The MPhil takes up to two years full-time or up to four years part-time. It is awarded on the basis of a thesis of about 40,000 words which has been successfully defended in an oral examination.
The PhD takes up to four years full-time, or up to eight years part-time. It is normally awarded on the basis of a thesis of 80,000 words which has been successfully defended in an oral examination.
Support and supervision
The Faculty offers strong and continuous support to research students. Each student works closely with a supervisor, meeting on a regular basis. There is also a Postgraduate Training Programme which helps you to develop research skills and provides a forum for presentation and discussion of work-in-progress, as well as an opportunity to meet fellow students and staff socially.
We consider applications for research degrees in various areas. These include:
- Criminology and Sociology
- English Language and Communication
- English Literature and Creative Writing
- Film and Television
- Politics, International Relations and Human Rights
Please note that this list is not exhaustive. Proposals are welcomed on any subject and will be given full consideration by the Faculty.
How to apply
If you are interested in studying for a research degree, the first step is to submit your research proposal to the Research Administrator (tel: +44 (0)20 8417 2304). Please produce your proposal using the following research proposal guidelines:
- Criminology and Sociology (PDF file, 88 KB)
- Dance and Drama (PDF file, 84 KB)
- Economics (PDF file, 106 KB)
- English Language and Communication (PDF file, 93 KB)
- English Literature and Creative Writing (PDF file, 92 KB)
- Film and TV (PDF file, 84 KB)
- Music (PDF file, 69 KB)
- Philosophy (PDF file, 74 KB)
- Politics, International Relations and Human Rights (PDF file, 72 KB)
- Psychology (PDF file, 91 KB)