Postgraduate scholarships and bursaries
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences is pleased to offer the following scholarships and bursaries to students applying to begin study starting in September 2014.
Alumni and Progression Discount
Eligible undergraduate students and alumni receive a discount on their taught postgraduate tuition fees when they enrol on one of the Faculty of Arts and Social Science postgraduate taught courses starting this year. Under the Scheme we offer:
10% Alumni Discount
All Kingston University graduates are automatically eligible for a 10% discount off a postgraduate taught course. See full details about the alumni discount.
25% Progression Discount
Available for any Kingston University student who is currently studying an undergraduate degree (bachelors degree) in 2013/14 who meets all the entry criteria for their chosen postgraduate taught course offered by the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. You must start the postgraduate course in 2014/15.
Applying for the Progression Discount
In order to receive this discount, please ensure you provide the details of your previous course and also supply your Kingston University ID number if applicable when you complete the application form for the postgraduate course.
Please note: You do not need to complete a separate application form.
Once you've applied for your course, we will check your eligibility for the discount. If you are eligible, the discount will be applied to your course fees invoice.
Progression Discount Terms and Conditions
- You will be eligible, if at the time of applying, you have attained a qualifying bachelors degree in 2013/14 from Kingston University.
- The discount will be awarded for full-time and part-time taught postgraduate courses offered by the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, for students starting their postgraduate course in the academic year 2014/15.
- In the event of a course not running in 2014/15 we will offer a place on a suitable alternative course if available. If no alternative is available, no cash award will be made.
- In order to be eligible for the discount please ensure you make us aware of your previous study when completing the online enrolment process. Any amendments to the information you supplied about your previous study must be provided within 10 days of your registration at Kingston University and not later than 14 October (for September starts).
- Only holders of a bachelors degree from Kingston University qualify for the discount; if you hold a foundation degree or postgraduate degree from Kingston University, but not a bachelors degree, you will not qualify for the discount.
- Alumni that have completed a Kingston University degree at partner institutions do qualify for the discount provided the degree awarded was a Kingston University bachelors degree and was completed in 2013/14.
- This discount cannot be combined with any other alumni or loyalty discounts offered by Kingston University, including faculty, department or school discounts that may be available.
- Students that withdraw or take a break in their studies will no longer be eligible for the discount and will therefore be liable for the relevant percentage of the full course fee determined by the date of their withdrawal or break. Further information can be found on the withdrawal cut-off for postgraduate study page.
Please note: There is no guarantee that the progression discount will be available in subsequent years.
There are some circumstances where Home, EU and overseas students WILL NOT be eligible for a tuition fee discount:
- postgraduate courses where fees are paid via a contract negotiated with KU, such as a health authority;
- continuing students already enrolled on a postgraduate course at KU;
- students already receiving any other scholarship which exceeds the value of the progression discount;
- research courses (either MRes, MPhil or PhD).
If you do not qualify for this discount, there may be other scholarships, bursaries or discounts for which you do qualify – check our postgraduate fees and funding web pages for further information.
Hilary Mantel Creative Writing Award
This bursary opportunity is exclusively for US Students applying to the MFA in Creative Writing and is endorsed by Hilary Mantel the author of Wolf Hall, winner of the Man Booker prize in 2009. Her novel sold more than 220,000 copies in hardback and became the prize's fastest-selling winning book as well as the first to go straight to the no.1 spot in the general fiction chart when it was released as a paperback.
Designed specifically with US students in mind, these scholarships, worth £10,000 each over two years, will be given to the two most promising writers, scholars, teachers, as evidenced by:
- MFA course application
- Writing sample
- Letters of recommendation
- Possible phone interview
Benefits of studying in the UK include:
- US Financial Aid available
- No GRE required
- Work part-time while studying
- This two-year course provides an opportunity to earn a UK postgraduate teaching certificate
All applicants from the US who apply for the MFA by May 29th 2015 and meet the criteria will automatically be considered and successful applicants will be advised by June 14 2015.
The University also offers a wide range of funding opportunities to both UK/EU and international students. Please click here for more information.