Prof Martin McQuillan
|School:||Faculty Of Arts & Social Sciences|
|Location:||Room Pr-Em330, Penrhyn Road|
Conference Plenary Papers and Keynotes:
• ‘The Meaning of Post 9-11 Politics’, Singidunum University, Belgrade, 17 March 2010
• ‘L’eredità di Jacques Derrida: L’avvenire della deconstructzione’, University of Solerno, 12 November 2009
• ‘Where Ghosts Live’, University College Cork, 4-6 September 2009
• ‘Second Annual Conference on Philosophy and Film’, University of Dundee, 16-18 July 2009
• ‘Postcolonial Ethnicity, Visuality and Cultural Politics’, Cardiff University, 27 February 2009
• ‘Derrida Today’, MacQuarie University, Sydney, 10-12 July 2008
• ‘Parts, Partitions, and Departures’, University of Cyprus, 2-3 June 2008
• ‘Deconstruction and Queer Theory’, University College Dublin, July 2007
• ‘Cultural Formations’, University of Rejika, Croatia, 15-16 October 2005
• 16th Meeting of European Journals, Belgrade Circle of Philosophy, 24-27 October 2003.
• Cultural Diversity: Annual Congress of the Taiwan Society for English and Cultural Studies’ National University of Taiwan, Tapei, 26-27 October 2002
• “Icon and Child”, The Aristotle Universty of Thessaloniki, 26-27 September 2002, with Eleanor Byrne (paper given in proxy)
• “The University in the Eyes of its Pupils”, University of Cork, 30th April –2nd May, 2004
Selected Conference Papers Given:
• ‘The Unconditional University’, London School of Economics, 11th and 18th May 2010
• Invited Speaker, Forum for European Philosophy at SPEP Annual Conference, Arlington VA, 29-31 October 2009
• Centre for Comparative Literature and Cultural Studies, Monash University, Melbourne, 16 July 2008
• ‘Muriel Spark and Contemporary Fiction’, University of Westminster, 9 June 2008
• ‘The Sovereignty of Cyprus’, IAPL, session funded by the British Council Cyprus, 4-8 June 2007
• ‘40 Years of ‘Structure, Sign and Play’’, University of Singapore, 22-25 April 2007
• ‘Between Three: Art, Media, Politics (Special Session on the work of Martin McQuillan)’, University of Freiburg, IAPL 30, 2-6 June 2006.
• ‘Alternative Modernities’ at the National Academy of Social Sciences, Shanghai, 24-5 July 2006
• Literary Encounters between the UK and Hungary: Contrasting Memories, Cultural Dialogues, University of Debrecen, May 2004
• “Transmissions”, British Council and the University of Budapest, 20-23 May 2002.
• “Bulgarian Festival of Scottish Writing”, British Council and the University of Sofia, 2-4 October 2001.
• ‘De Man-Blanchot Day’, Manchester Metropolitan University, 21 March 2001.
• “Interview with Hélène Cixous”, University of St Andrews, 24 June 1999.
• Papers also given at the Universities of: Aberdeen, Aberystwyth, Bath Spa, Brunel, Cambridge, Cork, East Anglia, Edinburgh, Emory, Glasgow, Helsinki, Kent (Canterbury), Lancaster, London (Royal Holloway, UCL), Loughborough, Melbourne, Portsmouth, Salford, Salt Lake City, Southampton, Stirling, Syracuse, Tampere, UC (Irvine), the Forum for European Philosophy, and Glasgow School of Art.
• ‘Derrida Today II’, British Academy, July 2010
• ‘Sovereignty, Property and the Theotropic: The Political Archive of Paul de Man’, University of California (Irvine), 23-24 April 2009
• “jhillismiller@80’, University of Leeds, 30 May 2008.
• “Hélène Cixous and Jacques Derrida: their psychoanalyses”, 1-3 June 2007, (with Eric Prenowitz)
• “The Future Matters: apropos of Derrida's touching on the technology of the senses to come in a post-global horizon”, University of Leeds, 8-9 March 2007.
• “The Architecture of Philosophy”, University of Leeds, 9-11 July 2004.
• “Secret Passages: Hélène Cixous at the Frontiers of Literature”, University of Leeds, 14-16 November 2003 (with Eric Prenowitz).
• “Writing Aesthetics: International Association of Philosophy and Literature 27th Annual Congress”, University of Leeds, 26-31 May 2003.
• “Deconstruction Reading Politics”, Staffordshire University, July 26-29 1999.
• “The Northern Critical Theory Seminar”, with Peter Buse, Staffordshire University, University of Salford, December 1997-July 1998.
• "Post-Theory: an International and Interdisciplinary Symposium", University of Glasgow, 4-6 July 1996.
Conference Panels Organised:
• International Association for Philosophy and Literature, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009
• Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy 2004, 2009
• European Society for the Study of English 2000
• Art Historians Association 200
Educational and professional qualifications
|1997||Ph.D, English Literature, "Aporias of Writing: a Deconstructive Theory of Narrative" , University of Glasgow|
|1994||P.G.C.E (Secondary), English and Mathematics , University of Strathclyde (Jordanhill Campus)|
|1992||M.A (Hons), English Language and Literature , University of Glasgow|
Professional experience (post-1990)
|2009-||Dean of Arts and Social Sciences, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Kingston University|
|2005-2009||Pro-Dean of Research, Faculty of Performance, Visual Art and Communication, University of Leeds|
|2001- 2005||Head of School, School of Fine Art, History of Art, and Cultural Studies, University of Leeds|
|2000||Lecturer in Cultural Theory and Analysis, University of Leeds|
|1997-2000||Lecturer in English, Staffordshire University|
I teach widely across a range of MA programmes in the Faculty.
I am also the co-director of The London Graduate School, a doctoral programme in contemporary critical and cultural theory
University of Sofia (2001-2003), Rostov State University (2005, 2008), University of Cyprus, (2005, 2009-10), University of Reijka (2006-09), University of Zagreb (2007-10), Singidunum University (2010) and I am the Distinguished Visiting Professor, Centre for European and International Studies Research, University of Portsmouth, 2008-10.
BA ‘Media, Culture and Society’, University of Hull, since 2006
University Accrediting Representative, BA ‘Cultural Studies’, Trinity and All Saints College, 2005-09
PhDs examined at Universities of Cardiff, 2003, Middlesex, 2004, Sheffield, 2005, Kent (Canterbury), 2005, University College Cork, 2006, 2010, University College Dublin, 2008, Mary Immaculate College, Limerick, 2008, Monash University 2010, University of Tampere, 2008, MacQuarie University, Sydney, 2009.
I have supervised 5 PhDs to completion:
• Victoria Willis, ‘Deconstructing Empire: Rome in Derrida and Virgil’ 2004
• Victoria Anderson, ‘Versions of Bluebeard: Narrative and the Revision’, 2005
• Ola Stahl, ‘Terrorism, Visual Art, and Deleuzian Cartography’, 2005
• Brigitta Gripsrud, ‘Spectacular Breasts: a Cultural History from Rousseau to Klein’, 2006
• Rowan Bailey, ‘Philosophy of Sculpture, Sculptures of Philosophy: Embodying Thought’, 2008
I am currently supervising 4 PhDs on: Shakespeare and Film, Deconstruction and the Former Yugoslavia, Derrida and Jean-Luc Nancy, Literary Theory after Yale.
|September 2009, British Academy: On-Line Publication of Paul de Man's The Portable Rousseau
Result: £5,500, 12 months
|September 2007, AHRC: Paul de Man: the Rousseau Papers (Large Grant Scheme)
Result: £125,000, 18 months
|October 2007, European Union: FP7 (Tempus Award) partner with State University of Rostov and Universities of Warsaw and Lopeking
Result: €350,000, 24 months
|January 2007, AHRC: The Post Card: Screenplay and Preparation’ (Practice-lead Research Grant Scheme)
Result: £16,500, 12 months
|July 2006, British Academy: The Teaching Notebooks of Paul de Man (Research Grant Scheme)
Result: £4,500, 18 months
| December 2005, University of Leeds: Theory, Translation and the Archive (International Excellence Awards)
|September 2005, AHRC: Re-Reading Roland Barthes: Aesthetics, Architecture, Deconstruction
Result: £14,500, 6 months
|July 1999, British Academy: Post-Theory and Deconstruction Reading Politics (International Conference Grants)
• Member of AHRC Prioritization Panel B, from October 2009
• Member of the AHRC Peer Review College, since 2006
• Member of the Executive of the International Association for Philosophy and Literature, 2002-05
• Member of the Executive Board of the English Association, 2002-05
• Editor of Clinamen Press
• Reader for numerous presses and refereed journals including Edinburgh University Press, Manchester University Press, Oxford University Press, Blackwell, Continuum, Macmillan, Routledge, Textual Practice, The Journal for Cultural Research, Angelaki, New Formations
Modern Language Association of America; International Association for Philosophy and Literature; Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy; English Association; Association of University Teachers; Forum for European Philosophy; Society for European Philosophy; International American Studies Association; European Society for the Study of English; International Society for the Study of European Ideas.
McQuillan, Martin (2009) Extra time and the death penalties: on a newly arisen violent tone in philosophy. Derrida Today, 2(2), pp. 133-150. ISSN (print) 1754-8500
McQuillan, Martin (2009) Toucher II: Keep your hands to yourself, Jean-Luc Nancy. Derrida Today, 2(1), pp. 84-108. ISSN (print) 1754-8500
McQuillan, Martin (2008) Derrida and policy: is deconstruction really a social science? Derrida Today, 1(1), pp. 119-130. ISSN (print) 1754-8500
McQuillan, Martin (2006) 'What we are rather blithely calling here the United States ...'. Oxford Literary Review, 28, pp. 91-101. ISSN (print) 0305-1498
McQuillan, Martin (2005) "The last Jewish intellectual" Edward W. Said 1935-2003. The Year's Work in Critical and Cultural Theory, 13(1), pp. 1-26. ISSN (print) 1077-4254
McQuillan, Martin (2002) Irish Eagleton: of ontological imperialism and colonial mimicry. Irish Studies Review, 10(1), pp. 29-38. ISSN (print) 0967-0882
McQuillan, Martin [Interviewer] and Cixous, Helene [Interviewee] (2002) 'You race towards that secret, which escapes': an interview with Helene Cixous. Oxford Literary Review, 24, pp. 185-201. ISSN (print) 0305-1498
McQuillan, Martin (2002) The girl who steps along, or, 10 steps on the ladder to reading Cixous. Oxford Literary Review, 24, pp. 43-69. ISSN (print) 0305-1498
McQuillan, Martin (2001) Spectres of Poujade: Naomi Klein and the new international. Parallax, 7(3), pp. 114-130. ISSN (print) 1353-4645
Byrne, Eleanor and McQuillan, Martin (2001) Walt Disney's Ape-man: race, writing and humanism. New Formations, 43, pp. 103-116. ISSN (print) 0950-2378
McQuillan, Martin (2000) The eternal battle for the domination of the world or forget Kosovo. Parallax, 6(2), pp. 67-80. ISSN (print) 1353-4645
McQuillan, Martin (1999) Emergency on Planet X: on a philosophical tone recently adopted in politics. Parallax, 5(2), pp. 82-92. ISSN (print) 1353-4645
McQuillan, Martin (1999) Information theory: from the post card to the telephone book and beyond. Continuum: Journal of Media & Cultural Studies, 13(2), pp. 139-151. ISSN (print) 1030-4312
McQuillan, Martin (2011) Roland Barthes (or the profession of cultural studies). Basingstoke, U.K. : Macmillan. 208p. (Transitions) ISBN 9780333914571
McQuillan, Martin and Willis, Ika, eds. (2009) The origins of deconstruction. Basingstoke, U.K. : Palgrave Macmillan. 296p. ISBN 9780230581906
McQuillan, Martin, ed. (2008) Deconstruction reading politics. Basingstoke, U.K. : Palgrave Macmillan. 225p. ISBN 9780230536951
McQuillan, Martin, ed. (2007) The politics of deconstruction: Jacques Derrida and the other of philosophy. London, U.K. : Pluto. 259p. ISBN 9780745326757
McQuillan, Martin, ed. (2002) Theorizing Muriel Spark: gender, race, deconstruction. Basingstoke, U.K. : Palgrave. 245p. ISBN 0333794141
McQuillan, Martin, ed. (2001) Deconstruction: a reader. New York, U.S. : Routledge. 600p. ISBN 041593687X
McQuillan, Martin, ed. (2000) The narrative reader. Abingdon, U.K. : Routledge. 353p. ISBN 0415205328
McQuillan, Martin , Macdonald, Graeme , Purves, Robin and Thomson, Stephen, eds. (1999) Post-theory: new directions in criticism. Edinburgh, U.K. : Edinburgh University Press. 220p. ISBN 0748610669
McQuillan, Martin (2013) Departures: the American future of psychoanalysis. In: Senatore, Mauro, (ed.) Performatives After Deconstruction. London, U.K. : Bloomsbury Academic. (Bloomsbury Studies in Continental Philosophy) ISBN 9781441123466 (In Press)
McQuillan, Martin (2011) Muriel Spark in Palestine. In: Gardiner, Michael , MacDonald, Graeme and O'Gallagher, Niall, (eds.) Scottish Literature and Postcolonial Literature: Comparative Texts and Critical Perspectives. Edinburgh, U.K. : Edinburgh University Press. ISBN 9780748637744
McQuillan, Martin (2011) Paul de Man and Art History I: Modernity, Aesthetics and Community in Jacques Ranciere. In: Bowman, Paul and Stamp, Richard, (eds.) Reading Ranciere: Critical Dissensus. London, U.K. : Continuum. ISBN 9781441190376
McQuillan, Martin (2009) Aesthetic allegory: reading Hegel after Bernal. In: McQuillan, Martin and Willis, Ika, (eds.) The origins of deconstruction. Basingstoke, U.K. : Palgrave Macmillan. ISBN 9780230581906
Botting, David and Wilson, Scott (2007) Homoeconopoeisis II: presents, technology, enjoyment. In: McQuillan, Martin, (ed.) Deconstruction reading politics. Hampshire, U.K. : Palgrave Macmillan. pp. 197-219. ISBN 9780230536951
McQuillan, Martin (2007) Introduction. The day after tomorrow... or, The deconstruction of the future. In: McQuillan, Martin, (ed.) The politics of deconstruction: Jacques Derrida and the other of philosophy. London, U.K. : Pluto. pp. 1-16. ISBN 9780745326757
McQuillan, Martin (2007) Is deconstruction really a Jewish science? Bloom, Freud and Derrida. In: Sellars, Roy and Allen, Graham, (eds.) The Salt companion to Harold Bloom. Cambridge, U.K. : Salt Publishing. pp. 235-254. ISBN 9781876857202
McQuillan, Martin (2007) Karl Marx and the philosopher's stone, or, On theory and practice. In: McQuillan, Martin, (ed.) The politics of deconstruction: Jacques Derrida and the other of philosophy. London, U.K. : Pluto. pp. 235-254. ISBN 9780745326757
McQuillan, Martin (2002) In bed with Muriel Spark: mourning, metonymy and autobiography. In: McQuillan, Martin, (ed.) Theorizing Muriel Spark: gender, race, deconstruction. Basingstoke, U.K. : Palgrave. pp. 78-91. ISBN 0333794141
McQuillan, Martin (2002) Introduction: 'I don't know anything about Freud' : Muriel Spark meets contemporary criticism. In: McQuillan, Martin, (ed.) Theorizing Muriel Spark: gender, race, deconstruction. Basingstoke, U.K. : Palgrave. pp. 1-33. ISBN 0333794141
McQuillan, Martin (2000) Clintonism: the phantom menace. In: Bewes, Timothy and Gilbert, Jeremy, (eds.) Cultural capitalism: politics after New Labour. London, U.K. : Lawrence & Wishart Ltd. pp. 81-100. ISBN 9780853159179
McQuillan, Martin (1999) There is no such thing as reader-response theory. In: Wolfreys, Julian, (ed.) Literary theories: a reader and guide. Edinburgh, U.K. : Edinburgh University Press. pp. 139-148. ISBN 0748612149
McQuillan, Martin, Macdonald, Graeme, Purves, Robin and Thomson, Stephen (1999) The joy of theory. In: McQuillan, Martin , Macdonald, Graeme , Purves, Robin and Thomson, Stephen, (eds.) Post-theory: new directions in criticism. Edinburgh, U.K. : Edinburgh University Press. pp. ix-xx. ISBN 0748610669
Conference or Workshop Item
McQuillan, Martin (2009) Broken 'promises': Rousseau, de Man, and Watergate. In: Property, sovereignty, and the theotropic: Paul de Man's political archive; 24 - 25 Apr 2009, Irvine, Calif., U.S.. (Unpublished)